A couple of weeks ago, on the night of its premiere, I wrote the blog Please, Fairy Godmother… Please Make “Once Upon a Time” a Mega Hit!
I got my wish.
On Thursday, ABC announced that it was ordering a full season pick up of the new fairy tale drama, which means 9 additional episodes to their original order of 13.
Why do I care so much? As the dialogue editor for the show, that means 9 more paychecks. And if it truly is a mega hit, I may have 22 weeks of pay for years to come.
Since my last show Brothers & Sisters was cancelled last May, my mind has been going to some very dark places. Unemployment is only available for 26 weeks, and if I didn’t get another show, those dark places could quickly become a reality.
No medical insurance.
Selling my kids into slavery.
But now I can count on some regular paychecks. Well, as long as I keep turning my show in on time and well edited. And also as long as the higher-ups on Once Upon a Time (basically everyone higher than I am) don’t get annoyed that a lacky like myself is incessantly chatting about their hit show on her mommy blog.
So now that I can count on a regular income (about as regular as you can get in the entertainment industry), here are the 10 Luxuries I Can Now Afford Since Once Upon a Time Got Picked Up for a Full Season:
- I can stop calling peanut butter the other white meat. We can finally add some lovely Spam to our dinner. Not every night. But some nights.
- Feed my dogs instead of eat my dogs. Their growling stomachs were really bugging me, and frankly, these mutts don’t have a lot of meat on their bones to nibble on.
- My 2012 wardrobe will not completely consist of my 10-year old’s rejected hand-me-downs from her classmate. I’m so glad Mary Belle’s friend is out of the High School Musical phase. I was feeling like one of those pathetic moms that dresses like her teenage daughter and truly believes it when people tell her they look like sisters.
- I can stop filling my Arrowhead water bottles from my neighbor’s hose. I dodged a bullet by never getting caught. Maybe I should make them a quiche to ease my guilty thieving conscience. A Spam quiche.
- I’ll donate blood for free. Platelets, however are too lucrative to give away.
- I can stop making my kids reuse their dental floss (no wonder they hate to floss).
- We won’t be living in a cardboard box on an off ramp. Actually my plan was to create a home out of cardboard boxes from IKEA. I figured that it would be easier to put together than their furniture.
- I can start buying my kids’ friends real birthday presents instead of just recycling the gifts they gave to my kids. It’s really embarrassing when I find out the hard way that there’s a personalized message in the book that was given.
- I can stop googling “earn money” “black market” and “kidney” together in advanced search mode. But shoot… I could have made a bundle of money. But my kidneys are getting a little old and tired. Too bad my daughter Emily’s got type 1 diabetes. They probably don’t want hers either.
- I can keep posting blogs on Sundays (those are the days that public libraries – and hence computers and the internet – are closed). Otherwise, it would take me about two days to text these ramblings via cell phone. Also, Verizon would have cut my service by then anyway for lack of payment.
Ok… so I’m exaggerating a little. But in my head, I really was living in a box on an off ramp, filtering leftover German Shepherd with my single kidney.
A girl can dream, can’t she?
Next – The 10 Luxuries I Can Afford When I Win Lotto.
#1 – Spam every day!
Episode #3 of Once Upon a Time airs tonight at 8:00 pm on ABC. Please watch.
36 responses to “10 Luxuries I Can Now Afford Since “Once Upon a Time” Got Picked Up for a Full Season”
Congrats on the pickup! I know EXACTLY how you feel. BTW, I actually DVR’d it last week and watched the first two episodes and liked it. Wicked Witch/Mayor may be Emmy-bound.
I was thinking the same of Robert Carlyle’s Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold. He is amazingly creepy.
I’m thinking I’ll get my boxes from Cosco. After all, they are free and already put together.
Thanks for the suggestion, Bridget. I can use them as my closets to put my… oh that’s right. In my poverty nightmare I don’t have anything to put in closets.
A Spam quiche. Shut up. Thanks to you, I’m now drooling over my chubby dog. Dammit.
Instead of naming your pup Machu Picchu, you might be calling it Mushu DogPork.
Yay! I feel responsible for your good fortune, since I have been watching the show. It’s nice to start the day with completely unearned smugness.
You can take all the credit for the show’s success. Hopefully they’ll thank you publicly when they win the Emmy.
Congrats! I wish I could eat spam every day 🙂
Do you want Spam or just the winning Lotto ticket?
How awesome is that? I have been watching it and LOVE it. Bratchild does too.
Glad it’s not giving Bratchild nightmares. Should be ok. After all, it’s an 8:00 show. I’m so glad you like it!
Great news! Congratulations! Once Upon A Time is a really great show. And I’m really very happy that you won’t have to make Ikea huts. Do they include duct tape on their freaky wall of hardware?
Yes – IKEA does carry duct tape on their freaky wall of hardware. Of course it’s in the homeless section, and the tape has to be waterproof in case it rains.
I’m glad you like the show!
Funny. I will make a point to watch it. I mean what are blog buddies…acquaIntance…okay stumbled upon your blog and thought it was great surfing bloggers are for. Congrats! Long live the witch!
LOVE. THIS. SHOW.
So glad that my new TV obsession (after Pop-Up Video) is actually helping someone! Seriously, I love this so so much that I think about it during the week.
Pingback: Shingles! – More Painful Than Childbirth | very VERY busy mom
Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are
a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us useful information to
work on. You have done a extraordinary job!
Hello there! I know this is kind of off topic but
I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
Thanks a lot!
This design is spectacular! You obviously know how to
keep a reader entertained. Between your wit
and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well,
almost…HaHa!) Great job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you
presented it. Too cool!
Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard
against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on.
I like the helpful info you supply on your articles.
I’ll bookmark your weblog and test once more here frequently. I’m rather sure I’ll learn lots of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!
I will right away clutch your rss as I can’t in finding your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service. Do you’ve any?
Kindly allow me recognize so that I may subscribe. Thanks.
I take pleasure in, cause I found exactly what I used to be looking for.
You’ve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye
Your way of telling all in this article is really good, every one be able
to easily know it, Thanks a lot.
Asking questions are actually fastidious thing if
you are not understanding anything entirely, however this article offers fastidious understanding even.
May I simply just say what a relief to find an individual who actually knows what they’re discussing online. You actually realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people ought to read this and understand this side of the story. I can’t believe you’re not more popular since you definitely possess the gift.
Wow, awesome blog layout! How long have you been running a blog for?
you make blogging glance easy. The overall look of your web
site is magnificent, as smartly as the content!
Good answers in return of this difficulty with solid arguments and telling the whole thing concerning that.
whoah this weblog is fantastic i really like reading your articles.
Stay up the good work! You already know, a lot of individuals are hunting round
for this info, you could aid them greatly.
I was very pleased to discover this page. I wanted to thank you for ones
time due to this wonderful read!! I definitely appreciated every bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to check out new
stuff in your web site.
Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the web the simplest thing to be
aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people consider worries that they just do not know about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects ,
people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get
Hi there are using WordPress for your blog platform?
I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own.
Do you require any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
Any help would be really appreciated!
It’s going to be finish of mine day, but before end I am reading this wonderful paragraph to improve my experience.
Appreciatee the recommendation. Will try it out.
I am not positive where you are getting your information, however good topic.
I must spend some time finding out much more or understanding more.
Thanks for wonderful info I was searching for this info for my mission.